To prepare you to enter the unionized construction industry, as a participant in the apprenticeship readiness program, jobs will be assigned daily. The assignments provide a opportunity to obtain experience working in teams, taking on leadership roles, and understanding some of the workflow on construction sites. Assignments will be provided by the administrative staff/instructor the day or week before your session starts. All personnel assigned to a job is expected to start ½ hour before class begins:
- Assists the instructor in setting up groups and distributing reference materials. •Informs participants of break/lunch times and monitors they are back from break/lunch. Reminds classmates about homework and groupwork submissions •Acts as a “second pair” of eyes for all jobs.
Safety Worker 🦺
- Monitors the class to ensure that everyone is in compliance with the appropriate uniform. Staying safe *exercise, demonstrations or any potential hazards •Jeans-no rips, frays •Plain white T-shirt •Belt •Boots: tied to the top: no tags •ID Card •No Jewelry •Ensures that participants are not doing anything to harm themselves while in sessions.
Coffee Runner : ☕
- Takes the coffee order with note pad and pen/pencil. Needs to know what the order is ? Coffee, tea, bagel, water, juice, tea, muffin. Where is the worker located? What floor? What room? •How much money is provided? •How much do you give back? •Tip (did you receive a tip) how much total?
Maintenance Worker ⛑
- Ensures that everyone cleans their desk and throws away garbage in designated and appropriate locations. • Checks lunchroom and bathroom facilities. Vacuums classroom and outside hallway area leading to lobby.
Quote of the Day 📝
- Provides a motivational quote or saying for the day •Pertaining to the training, industry, or life skills
Breakout Group Roles
- (2)•Navigates the websites, obtains reference/information for the group
- Relays the information compiled from the group work to the general classroom •Coordinates with team to ensure information is accurate.
- Takes note and collects the information from group •Writes the information/edits the information on the webpage (data entry)