Hardys Baez, Fernando Rodriguez, Kimberly Rodriguez, Gbolahan Yusuf, Krystalyn Boodram
Answer the following questions:
- Describe what was going on at Union Square on September 5, 1882.
Answer: Their was a parade of labor groups and individuals who marched up from lower Manhattan to 42nd street.
- How old was Peter McGuire when he started working?
Answer: Peter McGuire was 11 years old when he started working.
- What apprenticeship skill did he learn?
Answer: Active in labor and radical circles.
- What was he doing at Cooper Union?
Answer: Peter Mcguire fought in the union Army. He attended the free night classes at Cooper Union. He was elected to serve on the committee, which he became it’s best known public spokesperson and chief negotiator at the age of 21.
- List some of the trades unions he helped create:
- #1 United Brotherhood of Carpenters (UBC)
- #2 Joiners of America
- #3 American federation of labor
- The May Day labor marches he led demanded what law be enforced?
Answer: Peter McGuire led the May Day labor marches to enforce the eight-hour law.
- Read the timeline history. List and describe what your group thinks the three most important events are on that timeline, and summarize each in 1-2 sentences.
- #1 In 1866 the national labor union was created. this was created to pressure congress to make labor laws.
- #2 1935 the first minimum wage was created at $0.25/hour. this was the start for fair minimum wage.
- #3 In 2016 the ¨right to work¨ law was overturned by the courts but the eastern Atlantic states regional council of carpenters countries joined to support the fight against attack.
- Once again, May and Labor were created during the time when the unions were fighting for what working condition?
Answer: Better working conditions, better hours, and better wages.